According to the Danish Baymard Institute, nearly 70% of US customers abandon their cart and a little over 41% of those that intend to purchase abandon the checkout for reasons out of their control. The following graph is a breakdown of reasons for abandonment:
This graph can be split into 3 categories.
- Things which Magento 2 already covers out of the box, such as guest checkout and stability of the platform.
- Issues that not directly fixable through modifications in the checkout (fees, logistics).
- Finally, we're left with a small subset of reasons that are quite easily tackled:
- Simplify and reduce the length of the checkout process.
- Clarify to the customer up-front about costs.